Sunday, January 10, 2010

Photo Albums

From Booth July 15, 2009
One of the biggest challenges an artist has is to share their work in the best light. I was a two-dementional artist for years. I've photographed my work and my students' work. But now as a potter, I have to learn new ways to photograph my work. I will admit that I haven't solved this issue yet. What tips I can give you is not the quality of the picture you take but the form. Many artist have transitioned to digital cameras. Sometimes we get megapixel crazy. When we choose Fine and high numbers for our camera settings. This produces a large image and hard to work with. You can choose Fine and a lower size setting. Most images on the web look about 2" x 2" and when printed they maybe larger. Typical photograph file name extension will be either jpg or jpeg. These will work for the web. The larger the image file the longer the website takes to load. Stick with good quality small images.

I want to promote starting a photo web album. Even if you don't have a website you at least have a place for people to go and view your work. Check out Tips on photo albums. I use Picasa I can access anywhere I have Internet. I share with family and friends mostly. I plan to expand into the more "public" sharing. The nice thing about using Blogspot and Picasa, I can blog about a particular image in my album if I'm at a computer not my own.

No comments: