Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rejuvenated

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted on my blog since November. I had quite a bucket list. So much has happened since then, I don't know where to start. To be honest managing the new normal for me is been a bit stressful. But I don't regret the new venues and friends I've gained over the course of the last 6 months.

What I've accomplished so far:
  • I've learned that I need to create a variety of work that ranges in prices. In other words I do need to sweat the small stuff. Crosses throughout the year were a big seller. I have gotten a great response to pit fire pieces and my "Dollies". I hope to continue exploring new designs.
  • I don't expect much help in setting up my booth. I started out setting up a table but have evolved into a portable. The shelves are easily set up and display the work in the best light.
  • Work on clay constantly. I find that when I take a holiday from work, I end up scrambling the last minute to produce enough work for the spur of the moment show. Deadlines are a great motivator.
  • I need to balance my job and my creativity. I have to admit, I got tired a lot last year. I still need to work on this. I have to clubs and other various duties at school. I also the PR rep for San Antonio Potters Guild. This involves creating a newsletter every other month.
  • I now have a much clearer idea what I'm doing. Create! There is no substitute to actually doing the process. I took two classes at Southwest School of Art. I took "Basic Throwing Skills" and "Alternative Firing Methods. Check out my new pictures. I started working in porcelain, both in throwing and for hand building. The clay has some incredible effects from the alternative firing. I'll blog later on what I've learned. I started throwing a bit differently. I never really was a good thrower I didn't have a clear understanding of the process. I now can set up the wheel at school and can actually teach the kids the basics.
  • Social media is a godsend. I've used it to share my experiences and my work in progress. I've gained new friends from my shows and life in general. Facebook has become a useful tool to spread the word of myself as an artist.
I truly feel rejuvenated for the upcoming school year. I am anxious to get started and hope to spread the my positive energy into my students.

No comments: