Saturday, August 13, 2011

Selling


Last night I was with "SA Artists" at Woodlawn and St. Marys. This is a meet up group that got together to sell work. This was the second time we met, and had twice as many artists at this location. No one really made any money last night. It is always a disappointment when I don't sell something. But...


I think this will work out in the end. Just in most relationships in business or personal, there is that awkward time. Each time I show in these mobile selling situations, I try learn as much as I can. Most have similar problems. Each time I work through them. Here are a few:
  • Quick set up. I no longer bring a table. I use a wooden portable shelves I made earlier this month. 4 Shelves and it folds up.
  • Pricing. Currently I price depending on the situation. I maybe pricing too low. This is something I need to work through better.
  • Connections: Lately I'm being asked to show at future craft shows. I'm not seeking them out (although I need a few more BIG ones). I'm getting a few repeat customers too.
  • Packing up work. I pull work from my shelves for each show instead of keeping them in the boxes. It keeps me aware of what I have and what I need to make.
My new car has been a real trooper. I'm able to fit quite a bit it. I do need to find similar sized plastic boxes that will be easily packed and stacked. Once I get a canopy I'll need to use my space in the car better.

My next official show is at La Gallaria Balleza on August 27th. I may take some stuff to school for a bit of pocket money.

No comments: